Monday, August 13, 2007

The first step of the journey

It always helps to know something about an author when you read a book, so I suppose a blog is no different.

I am a retired, divorced, 56 year old male. Being able to retire at 55 was a good reason to be a federal government employee for 30 years. Those 30 years spent at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, WA combined with my 3 years, 9 months and 4 days of service in the Navy provide a decent stipend (even allowing for a third of it to go to my ex-wife).

Now that I live alone (with the exception of my cat "Bogie") and with the kids grown and gone, there is nothing keeping me in Kitsap County. Yes I have lots of good friends in the area, but I don't see much of them since I retired. Most of them have retired and moved on, too.

Kitsap County is a peninsula. Only 18 miles from Seattle but a life style away. Travel off of the peninsula requires a lengthy drive or a ferry ride or use of a toll bridge. It wears on me and I hate to be held to the schedule of others. The feeling is akin to island fever (or cabin fever of those unfamiliar with island life).

So, I am going to leave and not just the county. I am selling the house, putting my treasures in storage and have purchased a 22' Minnie Winnie. My Honda Shadow A.C.E. Tourer will be going with me on a carrier attached to the rear of the RV. This isn't quite the same as the bus in which Jack Kerouac set out to see America in "On the Road", but the urge is the same.

I intend to head south to the sun like so many others. I'll visit my sister and her husband in Tularosa, NM first. Hopefully they'll let me use their home as a base for a little while as I explore the area on my motorcycle.

Through the miracle of wireless technology I hope to stay in touch with friends and family while travelling and "talk" to anyone that stumbles upon this blog as events occur.

1 comment:

Ronnie said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! We can't wait to share your journey!