Thursday, May 13, 2010

Baby got new shoes

In preparation for the upcoming trip to Washington, the motorhome went first to a local Ford dealer in response to a recall concerning the cruise control system (something about it could catch on fire) then visited a local tire dealer for six new Goodyears. I've been told that no matter how good the tires look or how few miles are on them, they should be replaced every 5 years or so. The tires that I had been driving on were the originals - from 1998.
So, while my wallet is a little lighter, my mind is at ease.
I plan to leave Apache Junction on the 21st and arrive in Thorp on the 25th. My route home will take me to Las Vegas, then turn north along the eastern border of Nevada to Twin Falls, Idaho, then angle northwest through Pendleton, OR, and on to Ross and Patti's homestead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is true about the five year lifespan of the tires. The new compounds they use degrade over time. They may look fine but the rubber compound loses its strength. Changing a rear inside tire on the side of the road is something you don't want to think about.

Hopefully you weren't homeless while your home was in the shop.

Scott said...

Goodyear now claims to haveput a UV protectant in it's rubber compounds thereby extending the life span of the tire to 10 years. Of course the guarantee is only good for 4 years.
And how do we know that this isn't just a scam run by the tire companies? Like the change your oil every 3,000 mile scam run by the oil companies. Or like the health insurance scams (take your money, don't pay on a claim).

Skip said...

How salty was the Goodyears. My coach is in need of new rubber. A local tire shop quoted me $175 each installed. I haven't checked any place else. Those were Cooper tires. I've been running a set of Coopers on my Mazda pickup for almost 4 year and have gotten very good service out of them.