Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Top 10 places to retire

Forbes put out a list of the ten most affordable cities for retirees.
  1. Columbus, OH
  2. Dallas, TX
  3. Minneapolis, MN
  4. Houston, TX
  5. Salt Lake City, UT
  6. Indianapolis, IN
  7. Denver, CO
  8. St. Louis, MO
  9. Atlanta, GA
  10. Nashville, TN

They are all larger cities, so they don't really appeal to me, but I suppose the attraction of larger cities is conveniences, entertainment, transportation, hospitals, etc.

Been to any of these towns? A good friend told me that she didn't like Houston at all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have lived most of my adult life in Houston and plan on staying here when I retire. Most people that just visit here, don't like it. It is a very large metropolitan area. Takes a while to know it. There must be something here that people like. About 10,000 people move here every month!!
Dan (Danbgt from HSATF)

Scott said...

Hey Dan, hope Ike doesn't mess with Texas too much.

CiaoBella! said...

Scott,
Glad to see you blogging again. Maybe we'll see you when you're on this side looking for 'warmers'. Tom gets to come home tomorrow, Wednesday. Hooray!!
M

rumblewagen said...

Eh, I wouldn't retire to Dallas. I live in the DFW metroplex and can think of many better places to live and play when I don't have to work anymore.

Preferably some place where the weather is always warm and hammocks are normal.

Allen

Scott said...

I'm with you Allen.

Anonymous said...

As the article says these cities are affordable doesn't say much about the livability. What good is it if you can live well but are unhappy about where you are. Better to pick a livable small city, large town with a mixed diverse culture and live within your means. It ain't about what you are it's all about who you are.

Bob said...

I sometimes wonder who makes up these lists. We live just South of Minneapolis and we do our best to not go anywhere near there.
It is nice to be "near" them ....I would say 40 miles is close enough. Bob (mktobob)