Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Devil Went Down to Yuma


Home again from my whirlwind visit with Mary and Tom that included a quick tour of Yuma. It really was nice to see them and they were wonderful hosts, even if Mary didn't get to entertain me nearly as much as she thought she should. I saw the Yuma Territorial Prison and Old Town (every town has an old town, even Apache Junction and it was founded in 1950), looked at tanks at the Yuma Proving Grounds and horse tanks (water holes) in the mountains north of town. I met their good friends Joe and Karen. We all enjoyed a wonderful steak dinner last night. Very nice New York strips cooked to perfection by Tom, wonderful potato salad, asparagus and mushrooms done by his better half. Angelo looked for left overs but found few.
I decided not to dawdle on the ride home, taking interstates all the way. The world is much less interesting at 80 mph. I'll take the long way from now on. My windshield is yellow from the remains of Monarch butterflies migrating from Mexico north. I'm sorry. There was no way to avoid them.
Mary and Tom are on their way to San Diego to celebrate Colin's third birthday. Hard to remember my little girl at that age. She turns the big three-oh this July.
Speaking of Erica, her visit is in the late planning stages. Not sure yet if she'll be here on the 26th or 27th. I am really looking forward to seeing her and I imagine I will worry that I haven't entertained her sufficiently.
Another visitor will be in town tomorrow. Ken flew down to see his Mom and will extend his stay one day so we can go see Ken Griffey and the Mariners tomorrow.
This retired life is tough.
Oh yeah, if you didn't look at the weather report on the sidebar - sunny and 90!!

2 comments:

Dan said...

So you did not catch the "3:10 to Yuma"?

Anonymous said...

Definitely agree the interstate is extremely boring between Yuma and Apache Junction. But til you get to Gila Bend there really isn't much choice.