Friday, June 5, 2009

Seven words you can't say on the radio.





I've relaxed enough to talk about it. I was on Hiway 160 east of Four Corners. 6% downgrade ahead so I took the tranny out of OD and slowed to about 55. Big left hand sweeping curve. Also big dipsy dos in the pavement. The trailer jumped in one of the dips and I felt it kick to the right. I looked in my rear view monitor and saw it jump to the left in the next dip as I braked. Then I saw the trailer jump off the hitch. Only the safety chains kept this from being a bigger tragedy. I slowed way down and towed the trailer with the chains until I found a shoulder wide enough to pull over and survey the damage. I had to repair the coupler on the trailer and got it mounted back on the ball. Then I found out where the nearest Harley dealership was located - Durango. I did the next 60 or so miles at less than 40 mph. The trailer and bike are sitting at the dealership waiting for the insurance adjuster to show up. There should be no problems - $250 deductible on the bike. No insurance on the trailer, so those repairs will be out of my pocket. I had a drink, washed my shorts and am wishing my back didn't hurt. Must have been when I was working on the trailer. It's just a "thing" - a pretty thing, but a thing.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's gotta hurt. This ain't the radio so it's OK to let fly. Appears one of the straps broke?

Paige and Dave said...

We are so sorry for your loss and grateful you were not hurt during the incident. Hope we will talk of happier things soon! Dave & Paige

Ronnie said...

So sorry, Scott. Sending tea and sympathy and hugs your way.

Scott said...

Looks like 4 out of the 5 straps broke.

gerrycammy said...

Dude... that sucks! You should have warned us that these were graphic photos.

Dan said...

Scott, thats terible! Sorry to see this.

Cap'n Franko said...

Sympathies! Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Good driving on your part to keep the trailer from taking you for a ride. Bike doesn't 'appear' to be badly damaged. Mostly bolt on items from the photos. Hopefully the trailer didn't suffer to much damage. With any luck they can get you back on the road in a few days. In the meantime work on keeping the back from getting worse.

Bob said...

OMG....Sorry for the brutal event Scott. Hope it all works in your favor...and fast. Bob